Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Let Go

"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity, or registering wrongs. We are and must be, one and all, burdened with faults in this world." -Helen Burns ("Jane Eyre")

Photo courtesy of BookCoverArchive.com

I still remember seeing this statement and pausing. Charlotte Bronte's masterpiece had my full attention, but I just could not go any further without re-reading the young Helen Burns' quote again...and again. I read it until I had it memorized and I think I even put it up as my Facebook status (See what social networking has done to this generation?)

Helen said it right and got it right, for Bronte's time and present-day, as well. What's the point in letting someone live in your head rent-free? No one is perfect and we all have shortcomings in this journey called life, so why spend so much time building up that anger by replaying in your mind what someone did to you two weeks ago?

It's time to let go and let God. Oh yes, I went there. But seriously, you'll find a lot more peace and great comfort once you fully realize that you can take all the weight of your anger, frustrations and social turmoil, put 'em in God's hands... and leave them there.



1 comment: